July 17 - 21, 2017
Performances: Friday July 22 11:15 am & 3:15 pm
St. Vladimir's Cultural Centre, 404 Meredith Road NE
9:00 am - noon or 1:00 - 4:00 pm daily (half days)
Full day enrolment is available.
In a dramatic and fun-filled week of half day camps with Creative Writing Instructor Simon Rose, children will learn how to write, rehearse and perform their own unique play in just five days. Children will create the plot, craft the script, write dialogue and hone their acting skills for their very own dramatic production, which will then be performed at the end of the week.
Enrollment for a full day is available.
Students (aged 7 to 10) may enroll in a half day of Exploring the Arts Camp and a half day of PlayWriting Camp. Students (aged 7 to 12) may attend both morning and afternoon sessions of PlayWriting Camp and will work on and perform in two separate and individual plays. Noon hour supervision will be provided, but students must bring their own lunch.
(*When you register we will attempt to accommodate your preference of morning or afternoon but we cannot guarantee availability of spaces in either morning or afternoon camp.
- Developing creative writing skills
- Artistic expression through writing
- Arts integration (drama, music, play writing, set design)
- Exploring possibilities of imagination
- Introducing young people to specifics of play writing, acting, stage production
- Process-oriented project
- Team building
- Fostering relationship skills
- Recognition, development, and celebration of individual talents and contributions toward a final product
Theme for the Camp
The theme for Exploring the Arts Camp and PlayWriting Camp for 2017 will be “jungle".
For the PlayWriting Camp, this theme will lend itself very well to a multitude of scenarios in which participants will be able to set their plays and unleash their limitless imagination in the creation of their very own dramatic production.
Our Campers Love EAC and PlayWriting Camp
"My daughter really enjoyed the camp and talked about it non-stop in evenings. Well done!”
"My two kids loved the experience”
“Creative camp is a good break from all the sports camps.”
“I liked the PlayWriting Camp because all my ideas ond other’s ideas were in the play and Simon gave me a lot of ideas about how to write stories. His ideas will help me whenever I am writing stories."
- Split into three groups with each group responsible for writing one act
- Review script and revise where necessary
- Characters assigned
- Each group writes the lyrics to one verse of the song
- Drama teacher to assist with students
- Begin rehearsals
- Rewrites done for any needed script changes
- Rehearsals and performances
We wish to remind you that videotaping of CASSA productions and performances is not permitted. DVDs of performances are available through CASSA. Friends and relatives may take photographs, but to avoid distracting the performers, please do not use flash photography during the performance.
Register early for your favourite Camp or Workshop